Monday, April 14, 2008

Ghetto Neighborhood


Today I get home and my neighbor greets me as I am getting out of the car. "Have you seen the news?" I hadn't as I just got home from work. She told me that there is a standoff at the apartment buildings next to us. A robbery and assault that happened at 4pm. We see a policemen (not the one pictured), and start talking about it, then he yells "PLEASE GET INSIDE!" We're like, ok! So I go inside, turn on the news and watch the updates. Apparently police have surrounded the building because one of the suspects is still inside. Then I see this SWAT guy outside from my deck. Every sound in my condo I am racing to the window because I swear they are gun shots, but nothing, the Swat man is still standing there.

Here is what WZZM has to say:

Grand Rapids - Police have an apartment building surrounded in the 3800 Block of Rowland Drive, SE. Our people on the scene say officers from Grand Rapids and Kentwood have their guns drawn and are demanding the people inside get out.

Grand Rapids Police say the person living at the residence was apparently robbed and assaulted but managed to escape. The two suspects remain inside. Police are using a megaphone and are demanding the suspects leave the building but so far they have not responded.

No comments: