Sunday, August 3, 2008

Mamma Mia Movie - 6 out of 10

Ok, so I am still not sure how I feel about the movie. I saw it the day after the musical. Of course the musical is 20 times better. But the movie offered some details of characters that you couldn't get from the live stage version. What I didn't like about the movie. The lighting was horrible. Some scenes just looked fake, green screened or like they were in a studio. I am not sure what it was. The backgrounds just didn't match sometimes. Now the location (Greek Islands) they were on was quite beautful in some scenes, but looked overdone sometimes, or not done enough. Maybe they were going for that magical look, not sure. Pierce Brosnan - ok, he cannot sing. He looks uncomfortable singing and I actually laughed out loud when he tries to sing S.O.S. He is fine to look at though. The whole feel of the movie was cheesy, but I actually find myself wanting to see it again for some reason, maybe it is because I can't watch the play again and again.

The Good - Meryl Streep was excellent. Some notes were a little off, but mostly right on. My favorite scene is "The Winner Takes it All," seen below. Christine Baranski was hilarious as best friend Tanya. The scene on the beach with "Does your Mother Know" was fun. And the actress the plays Sophie is a joy to watch. She always has a bright shine to her and she can also sing.

No comments: