
Well, I did it. Well, not just yet, but I took the first step to run and complete a half marathon on Oct 17, 2010!!! I signed up for the Grand Rapids Half Marathon. In my head I had the idea I would "train" for this and sign up if I felt good about it. I have been sort of following a training plan by Hal Higdon...a 12 week plan to a half marathon for beginners. A Half Marathon is 13.1 miles!!! 13.1 miles!! Last week I got an email from Gazelle Sports saying if I signed up at their store I would save $10. You know me, I like to save money and also felt this was a sign, so this past Saturday I drove there and signed up! Now I am committed. To be honest, I have days where I feel great and I am committed, on other days I am like, what did my evil twin do to me? She signed me up for 13.1 miles? What the hell? Its a vicious fight in my head!
See, a couple years ago I had tried to train for this with a friend, didn't sign up thinking I might not like it. I believe I got up to mile 8 or 9, and believe me, that was quite a feat, and I think I was like, "F THIS!!! What I am doing?" Well, these past couple years have been quite different. I feel like I am mentally stronger and have more determination than ever. In the past year or so, I have completed 5 triathlons, a 10K, and countless 5ks. I feel like I am ready to conquer something bigger, and see if I can do it? Hmmm....is this my evil twin talking again?
Well, this past Sunday I had to run 5 miles for my long run, the long runs are always on the weekends, and gradually build up to 10 miles (I don't even run 13 until the marathon?? Weird.) Then during the week, I run three other shorter distance runs.
I am writing this blog for #1, keep myself motivated and to give me a track record of my journey to the 13.1. Sure I will post other things besides running, but this will help me stay motivated and give me a sense of accomplishment when I can come back here in a few weeks and say how I ran 8 miles!! Woo hoo!
No comments:
Post a Comment